quinta-feira, 14 de maio de 2009

The value of the things...

I’ve heard tons of things in my life. Many of these things were really inspiring. Some other ones were very interesting. Finally there are the ones that I kept with me.

“You just give value to something when you lose it.”

At some point of my life I was studying engineering in one of best schools (and one of the hardest to be accepted in my country). It meant a lot for my family – the first “grandson” to go to be accepted in a public university in my family (in Brazil those are generally the best ones). But I wasn’t happy there and I decided to quit. It was again a hard decision for me to make because I was disappointing many people that believed on me. The most important one: my grandfather.

He was the proudest grandpa in the world for having me studying engineering. He used to tell that to the whole world. I would be the next engineer of the family – after many years. I knew that quitting would be a huge disappointment for him. So I wrote him a letter. In this letter I said how sorry I was that I didn’t like to be there studying engineering but more about how much I felt bad aboud him because of how much he appreciate that I was there. I took the opportunity to tell him how much I loved him and how much I was proud to be his grandson.

I called my mom to check if she had printed the mail to give to him and asked about his health. She told me that he was good, but he was going to do a surgery. After around 3 weeks he passed away during the surgery.

My grandfather was an example for me in many senses. In his funeral I saw from the mayor of the city, doctors and lawyers to people that used to work doing home services at my home. He was a big inspiration for me about of what does it mean to be a good man. I missed him a lot when he died. But I was lucky enough to have the chance to tell him how much I loved him and how important he was in my life.

From that moment on I knew clearly the meaning of this phrase: “You just give value to something when you lose it.” I feel that right now... I miss my friends in México. I know that I did a lot to take the most from my time there – especially regarding the people around me. No conflicts, good mood, making fun with them... having fun with them. About the country itself... not that much. I didn’t take the opportunity to go around and see the wonderful places that México hides... but I know that I will come back.

Now I miss the small things from my life in México. The weather, the coffee in Starbucks, to work in La Salle, to be joking and having fun with Joss, Ponny and David all the time. I even miss a bit the food in México – my biggest challenge there. I miss my daily walk to the supermarket to buy my breakfast.

There are some things that you won’t learn eternally. You will just learn it more... once and again. I’ve learn the value of those small things again. I am having a nice, easy and balanced life in my city now. But it will take some time to pass this feeling that I am missing something every day.

If you constantly read this blog and I could advise you to learn something definitely it would be what I told you that I’ve learned here about giving value to things. Constantly in the lives of many people I can clearly see how much they don’t perceive how much the people around them are really important for their lives. How much they will miss each of those people when they leave... for any reason. It may sound obvious but as the best things of life, it’s also very simple but at the same time, changes completely your way to deal with your life. It made me a much more dedicated person and kind one. I hope it can somehow help you to do the same. :)



"(...) They paved paradise and put up a parking lot (...)"



My daily walk in Mexico City... I will miss it...

Um comentário:

Maria Jimena disse...

Tuliooo porque no usastes el ascensor?? jajaj

Te extrañoo
beijo!