domingo, 5 de abril de 2009

From México to México (Part 2)

I left my flight and I had some difficulties to find the places where my luggage supposed to be. After going around for a while I finally found it out. After I found it, I had troubles trying to find something else: my luggage. It was lost. When I went to the place to claim my luggage, everything went fine... except for the fact that I forgot the address of my hostel there with the guy that was attending me – for them to know where they should send the luggage.

So I left the place and tried to withdraw money with my 2 credit cards. Obviously, none of my cards worked out. Without having many more options, I went to change the dollars that I had. The 100 dollars that I had became 61 euro. I am telling the details because they’re going to be important in the story, believe me. So I got the train that people told me to get. I either got the wrong one, or the indications that they gave me were wrong. Any of the two options would screw me up. And I actually got screwed.

Besides that, after I got into the train I discovered that I haven’t authenticated my ticket – which also means that, it wasn’t valid then. If any guard stops me at this time, I would have to pay a huge fine. One important part is that my ticket cost 11 euro – which means that I had exactly 50 euro left.

Finally, I’ve got to the wrong station in the metro. At this point I was lucky: no guard checked my ticket in my trip. :) From the wrong station where I’ve arrived I could either to get a metro or a bus. With my non-existent Italian, I couldn’t ask for information. When I finally could, I asked for a guy from the information centre and he told me to get the bus 910 and then the 218. When I tried to buy the ticket it cost 1 euro. I had just a bill of 50, so I needed to change the money. I went to a place with sandwiches inside the station again and there I changed my money. Went back, bought the ticket and get into the bus. After I got there, I’ve got the news from the driver that it was the wrong bus. I supposed to get a metro (do you remember that I’ve lost the address of the hostel, right?) to somewhere.

So I went to the metro station. With the stamp of tourist in my forehead I started to check the map of the metro to see where I should go. The place was the emptiest metro station that I’ve ever been in my life. After some seconds that I was checking there the map a guy came to ask me for money. Considering that he was all the time looking behind his shoulders and came to me and asked for 5 euro to do something (speaking in English) – for me it’s was a robbery attempt.

I got to 2 conclusions:

- Shit!! That’s a robbery! With 5 Euros I can spend almost 2 whole days in Mexico with all my meals!

- Man!! Thieves in Italy are so smart that they speak English!! He was speaking English better than the information guy... and thinking by this perspective, he could be providing information instead of stealing people...

So I went back to the information centre for metro station. The guy that spoke a little bit of English could teach me which metro station I should go. When I asked about the bus that I should take there to go to the hostel he said: “here is metro information! We don’t give information about buses.” I was holding myself to do not laugh reminding the public services in Brazil. :)

I followed the information, got the metro and arrived to the station. When I left the metro I didn’t know where to go... into a very deep cold weather... I walked for something like 2 blocks, got some new information and came back to get the right bus. I followed the instructions that asked the guy to stop close to the hostel. He did it, but when I left I had no clue where should I go again. I saw a street going down for a group of houses and I thought that could be there.

That was one of the most exciting parts of my trip. Since the weather was really cold there was nothing on the street. I really felt like I was any version of “Resident Evil”. I was just waiting for the first zombie to come to me and start to try to bite me and get my blood. Fortunately it didn’t happen. Unfortunately, I didn’t find the place. I checked for some place to ask for information and there was a bar around but my fear of having some zombies taking drinks on that place was so big that I decided just to come back. It was almost midnight.

In my way back I found a person parking its car. I tried to speak with it in some languages and he finally explained me how to get to the hostel. It was around 2 blocks from where I was. I thanked him and finally arrived in the place. By the way, the money that I had left was exactly enough to pay for one night for me. I just bought a very expensive internet card to tell my family this history and that I was fine. Few minutes after I started Mali arrived. She and Mo couldn’t get why I was so white and without reaction. I guess after reading this post they would understand better. :)

Until that moment my conclusions about Italia were:

  • People are incredibly beautiful. And they do use the weird fashion things that we see on the television. And it works out.

  • Everything was really expensive. For me, it was almost like Paris.

  • I didn’t like the Coffee machine of the hotel. It swallowed 1 euro from me.

  • The water to take shower was hot, but the restroom was a small fridge. I am serious about the possibility of storing some ham above the beds there.

To be continued...

Um comentário:

Marcela disse...

All that couldn't happen with someone else than you! I heard today something like “everything in the life is experience, the problem is when you need to face that to learn”…. Thank you for your email! I miss you for real Tulio, but I’m super happy to know about your adventures around the world!