domingo, 12 de abril de 2009

From México to México (Part 3)

So I arrived to IPM. The first days were for the preparation of IGN Pre meeting. I didn’t have my luggage and the hostel was a bit lousy. But it was okay, we would stay just some few days there... so no problems with that. We delivered IPM pre meeting and everything went smooth. It was really good to be there the IGN people because they were always very supportive and they were also cooperating a lot with the sessions and everything.

I had one of the hardest moments there which was presenting my results on ER. It was interesting because, due to the situation, all the MCPs were able to understand why we couldn’t fundraise in our period. It was a personal tough time for me, but I really think they understood the point and were again very supportive.

Afterwards we got to the conference. First day it was opening ceremony and then global village. The host guy of the opening ceremony was one of the weirdest things that I’ve ever seen in my life. But anyway, on the ceremony there was a classical band playing that was simply amazing. I really advise you to take a look, even the people that doesn’t like much of classical music. It changed a bit my concept. This Harmony.

In the meanwhile between opening ceremony and global village we took a time to go to Coliseum. It is funny because, due to my impression made with movies, I always thought that it was much bigger than I saw it indeed. Global village was really cool and there were a lot of people visiting us in a warm place and we had a lot of fun shouting the shouts of our regions.

IPM then finally starts. First day was dedicated to the PAI speeches and special event. Second day we got to the stage and did our speeches. It’s funny because actually at this point most of the people not even know that you’re a candidate. But after the speech it changes a lot. It was a great sensation. Tons of people – most of them that I’ve never seen before, come to you and support you a lot. My speech I think was very different of the average and expected speech from a director candidate. I must confess that I was a bit scared after talking to some people (specially the current AIESEC International team) and they said that their speeches were much more turned to the organizational perspective. I really disagreed that it should be our approaches because, they will elect someone that is good or not on something based on ourselves. Who defines where we are going is actually the President elected and there is a huge contribution of the current AI team. Imagine all of that, without knowing for which Region in the world would you be allocated!? ...

I took my shot and did it differently. I talked about myself, my history, why I was there why I wanted to be there... somehow it worked out. After the question and answers – where they had the chance to check more about specific knowledge we passed for the announcements.

Something made me really frustrated in the Q&A. When we were in Central and Eastern Europe – Region that by the way was the one that I was prioritizing for my elections – they did the funny question (all the GNs generally always do). The question was: “Does size matter?” It was frustrating because in the beginning Mehmet and Driss didn’t get the question and when they got it they just answered: “Yes it matters.” :( I didn’t have time to think about a good answer because they were so fast... and afterwards I came up with some very good ones:


- It’s not the size of the entity that really matters but how further it can gets.

-
No, size doesn’t matters. There are some big entities that are showing no performance and in the other hand small ones being able to growth a lot and increase the volume of high quality experiences delivered.


Unfortunately my answer at that time was only, something around: yes, size matters. The funny thing is that after one girl came to us and said: just FYI all the girls answer that it doesn’t matter. It was funny.

We went smoothly through the process and we get the confidence vote. It was very interesting for us because, apparently there was a balance among the Presidents candidates. But when we got to the results, Aman won with a huge difference of votes. For the first time in the last 3 years, we had a PAI elected in the first round of votes. It was a surprise for us, mainly because we couldn’t see what happened in the Q&A and I honestly think that it was the moment when Aman actually won the elections.

Next days: interviews. I was really dedicated to the process itself, trying to relax, to think about myself, do not get too much stressed and everything. But there was someone very special in this process and I am very thankful to her. Since the beginning of the process when we met in pre meeting we spent all the IPM (and some days after together). Since we were both candidates, we were all the time supporting each other on the process and talking all day long, having fun, making fun with the rest of the people and etc. So I really would like to thanks Eva (Madeira) for all the time that we spent together there.

I was heading to the interview. I did it. At this point of time it was really interesting because most of the MCPs of IGN said explicitly to me that they really wanted me to be the next director for IGN. It was really good mainly because somehow it was a nice recognition to the work that I was delivering at that point.

And we went to the announcements... to be continued :)

Nenhum comentário: